Phenometrics products enable scientists to study algae under the same conditions found outdoors in the ponds, but in the much more efficient confines of the laboratory. Each computer-controlled PBR101 uses breakthrough technology to re-create the environmental conditions such as temperature, light intensity, and CO2. Choose from pre-programmed experiments, or quickly and easily design your own, with the growth variables that are most important to you.
Many researchers use the PBR101 to set specific parameters to maintain consistency between experiments. Most importantly, the PBR101 enables reproducibility, a key factor in algae research experiments. The PBR101 saves time and money while producing better results.
Each PBR101 is also a measurement instrument, measuring growth rates, pH, and other factors in the algae reactor vessel, which are displayed on the computer monitor in a graph or data display. It is customizable to accommodate various probes and sensors that monitor algae culture and growth metrics.
The Phenometrics PBR101 compact bench-top Photo Bioreactor was specifically designed for the optimization and study of the growth of microalgae and cyanobacteria. It provides for a great number of algal growth conditions to be controlled, monitored, and recorded by computer, for accurate emulation of local environmental conditions, determination of optimal growth conditions, or both. This allows for the optimization of an individual strain under given production conditions, such as an outdoor raceway, or the selection of the best strain for use under existing environmental conditions. Virtually unlimited user-defined system control combinations are accomplished through Java scripting in Algal Command, a customized software package written specifically for the PBR101. The Java script of Algal Command is open-sourced, which allows advanced users to further customize system control. Up to 256 separate PBR101 systems can be controlled from a single laptop or desktop computer, simultaneously storing all of the data together. This allows for the most rapid diversification of experimental conditions possible, resulting in the highest-possible level of R & D or scientific study. The combination of growth optimization and dramatically-reduced development times results in a significant reduction in startup and operational costs (CAPEX) while at the same time increases production yields with a reduced time-to-market (resulting in greatly enhanced profit). This same increase in productivity can also be of equally significant value in a pure research environment.
The following variables may be controlled using the PBR101 and Algal Command:
• 3000 μ-Einstein LED specially designed lighting system with conical vessel that accurately mimics BOTH raceway or production tube bioreactors (controllable from 0- 3000 in steps of 25 μ-Einsteins.
• Fully programmable Diurnal Cycles; you set the length of sunlight day, and also the hour of peak sunlight.
• Fully programmable heating and cooling, linkable to the diurnal cycle; you can independently set the hour of peak heating (if different from peak sunlight).
• Active cooling and heating, from 5 – 50°C
• Algal Command Software provides for complete, simultaneous, integrated control of up to 256 bioreactors from a single computer, with collation of all data. All the reactors are linked together via Ethernet Hub.
• CO2 programmable and controlled from Algal Command.
• Mixing through active magnetic stirring and/or gas sparging. 7 PBR101 Photo Bioreactor Guide to Setup and Operations Rev. 0115